In my world, the kitchen is most important room in any home. It's the place where families and friends come together, not only to eat, but to share, laugh, cry, inspire, discuss, encourage and relate. As the name suggest, I'm going to attempt get the most out of my kitchen and all it has to offer through discussions on food, life and health as I embark on a new chapter of my life.

Monday 10 January 2011

Resisting Temptation





I can't help it. I am a slave to the pastry. If and when I go to culinary school, it will be to become a pastry chef. I have to walk by this shop everyday. And this isn't even the worst one! I love pastry, and my weakness is the savory ones. The meat pies, the curry chicken cornish pasties, the cheese and tomato phyllo turn overs.... you get the point.  When I walk to work in the morning, it's all I can smell. That sweet buttery pastry dough rising into a crisp, browned, pocket full of savory, soft, melt-in-your-mouth delicious fillings.... oops, just drooled on myself....

I have been pretty good so far. Actually, I have been REALLY good. I haven't had any, well, not in Cambridge ;) I know it's only been 4 days, but this is a miracle for me, because anything is wrapped in puff pastry is automatically one of my favorite things to eat.

I'm not a fan of totally eliminating certain foods from my diet, and this is no exception. But I will set a goal with respect to pastry, in that "I only eat pastry once per week". This is my first goal of 2011. My second goal of 2011 also has to do with food, but more generally. I haven't figured out how to word it properly yet because it encompasses many things. So I might have to break it down. The long and short of it is that, while still enjoying cooking and eating, I need to eat healthier.  My third goal, which goes hand in hand is with respect to exercise. At the moment, I don't know where the gym is here, or how I get access, but I will figure it out by the end of the week. For now, the miles and miles of walking I do each day will have to suffice. I will come back to this when I've had more time to figure it all out.

In the meantime, I will continue to resist temptation every morning.

4 comments:

  1. I need to tour England with you! I remember going there about 20 years ago (man, I feel old!) and I remember the food being pretty terrible. Maybe I just didn't know where to go! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh... England's signature food is curry and there is a very specific reason reason! For that reason, it must be soooo good there, which it most definitely is! Andrea, I can't say much for the pastry. It's not my thing for a couple reasons, mostly allergy-related though. However, I can say that I appreciate baked goods and the warmth that they bring via your senses! Oh yes! Nice description!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing, I applaud your goal-setting! I think that you already do enjoy only one amazing pastry per week. You do eat healthfully, and you do partake in exercise regularly. See, it's already happening! That whole present-tense thing... !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morash! found your blog linked to Mias! Looking fwd to hearing all about your adventures :) MUAH! Abha :)

    ReplyDelete